Saturday, December 09, 2006

MBA...Change of Perceptions !!

Friday Night --> The only night when owls are left alone...Why ? Cos MBA students are sleeping !!

Generally, whenever I am standing in a queue at a Take away joint, I would generally let some vague thoughts cross my mind and pass my time away. But yesterday, things changed. I was standing in a queue at Chipotle and I saw myself calculating serve time,arrival rate etc etc. I was trying to gauge the "fat rabbits a.k.a bottlenecks" and trying to figure out how much time would it would take me to pick up my burrito Thats what a good class of operations does to you !!! But all credits to Dr. Rogelio Oliva for making operations so natural to you. The guy is awesome !! He is an former Harvard professor, has amazing stamina (runs close to 3 miles in a lecture) and makes you think, think and think.

In the end, I guess, MBA changes perceptions. It allows you to take liberty with your thought process and give one opportunity to think the way you want. And once you start ticking, that opportunity becomes your routine activity. There was a time when I used to fret about the work load. But I guess, the program was simply asking us to evaluate our time management skills and improve them for judgement day !!

Similar things are happening with the Finance course. Each rational thought ends at NPV. If its a negative NPV, forget it !! And the mother of all truths...Forget the sunk cost. Its gone. Think about future cash flows and compare them only....Gosh..Only if I could understand this early in life..Would have quit Reliance long back !!!

Anyways...For anyone thinking of doing an MBA !! Do it..Not for money, not for education !! But for change of perception !!!

2 comments:

Nihar said...

Good post! Completely agree with you. Although I have not done a formal MBA but I took a number of courses at Cornell and it definately is true!
sunk cost concept is so easy to understand but so hard to implement!
hmmm....one of these days I'll do it!

on a sidenote. How are you? remember me? :-)
ping me at nihar.desai@gmail

Abhishek Navlakha said...

yeah.. i have started seeing some change in the way i see things too..Also, good professors make a marked difference in a students life